Saturday, May 19, 2007

Modesto Criterium



If there is one advantage to racing in the Central Valley its the weather. Sunny, warm and less than 2 hrs drive time. Oh and Vanilla Ice was playing there later in the week...YEAH!!!! ICE ICE BABY!!!

The race was in downtown Modesto and very similar course to Santa Rosa. A 6 turn crit but lots of bot dots and some crappy pavement. We are off and though the first lap was controlled it was going to be a fast race. As the only Mouse out there, I knew it would be tough with teams launching attacks but there was always someone willing to drive the pace to pull it all back.

As the race went on, I found the guy who won Burlingame last year (this kid is 16...UGH! I hate him) and knew he and his team would be good to follow. With about 8 laps to go a group of 12 went off the front and looked promising and with no
one willing to pull it back, I make my jump to try and bridge but just as I got to them, they all sat up....damn!

Now everyone was setting up for the sprint and the Easton team looked good. With 3 to go they were all together and I was on them tight. With 2 to go, the usual exceleration came and things got strung out. As we hit the bell lap Easton had a great set up. 3 guys and their sprinter as the fourth and it was my wheel!

As we came down the back I slipped off the wheel but fought my way back on in great position. As we hit turn 5 I made my mistake. Coming in a bit too hot on the turn, hit some dots and I was forced to go wide. As soon as I did I lost the wheel and 4 guys slipped into my space...DAMN!

I quickly recoved to get back in line but it was too late as we hit the last turn with 100 meters to go. Final finish 9th.

A good race but to have that mistake back...oh well. I'll have to wait to get my first CAT 3 points.

Now its off to Panoche Pass RR...don't ask. It didn't go well for me. To be honest....it sucked. I hate climbers road races!

No comments: